Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Quotation Work!!!

Holt Handbook pg. 294
Ex. 2 1-5 Rewrite the following sentences using commas, end marks, quotation marks, and capital letters where they are needed. If a sentence is already correct, write “C.”
1.     May I go with you I asked
2.     We’d like to go too added Barbara and Troy
3.     Barbara asked who will bring tubes for everyone
4.     Jim said I’ll bring them
5.     I offered to bring sandwiches and lemonade

Ex. 3 pg. 295 1-5 Re-write each sentence correctly
1.     Staci said here is a photograph of this self-taught American artist
2.     Clementine Hunter was born in Natchitoches, Louisiana
3.     She started working on a plantation when she was only fourteen Maria added
4.     When she was fifty-three years old said Staci Hunter decided to do what she loved most- paint
5.     Staci continued she began painting on almost any surface that would hold the paint

Ex. 4 1-5 pg. Revising indirect quotations to create direct quotations.
Revise each of the following sentences to change the indirect quotation to a direct quotation. Be sure to use capital letters and punctuation marks where they are needed.
Example: I asked the cashier for change for a dollar.
Corrected: “May I please have change for a dollar?” I asked the cashier.

1.     The cashier replied that she was not allowed to make change unless a purchase was made.
2.     I said that I needed a new pen.
3.     The cashier told me that it cost seventy-nine cents.
4.     I said that  I would give her $1.79.
5.     She told me she could give me change for a dollar.




Holt Handbook Pg. 298 Punctuating Quotations and Titles
Rule: Use quotation marks to enclose the titles of short works such as short stories, poems, newspaper or magazine articles, songs, episodes of television series, and chapters and other parts of a book.

Examples:
TYPE OF NAME
EXAMPLES
Short stories
“The Stone”  “All Summer in a Day”
Poems
“Jetliner” “Song of the Sky Loon”
Articles
“Celebrating our Heritage”
Songs
“Georgia on My Mind”
Episodes of TV shows
“Kali the Lion”
Chapters and other parts of books
“I Go to Sea”  “Energy from the Stars”



Exercise 5 pg. 298
Re-write the following sentences, adding single and double quotation marks where they are needed.
Example: I just finished the chapter The Circulatory System in our health book, Dell told me.
“I just finished the chapter ‘The Circulatory System’ in our health book,” Dell told me.
1.     Diane is learning the song This Little Rose for her recital.
2.     Angelo, can we meet after school tomorrow? We need to practice our presentation, Sam said.
3.     I’m sure I heard the announcer say, Schools are closed because of the storm, I said.
4.     I can pronounce all the words in Lewis Carroll’s poem Jabberwocky, Nina told Lou.
5.     Ted said, My dad will pick us up on Saturday at 7:30 A.M. After the race, he is taking us to Lucy Chang’s for lunch. Do you like Chinese food?

No comments:

Post a Comment